Monday 22 December 2008

Recounting

http://www.usnews.com/blogs/outside-voices-careers/2008/12/19/why-im-recounting-the-kindness-of-colleagues.html

Why I’m Recounting the Kindness of Colleagues

December 19, 2008 11:08 AM ET Michael S. Wade

Too often we can readily recount those times when we encountered cruel or thoughtless behavior in the workplace. That is why a periodic review of the kindness that has shaped and boosted our careers is important.

I recall:

  • One of my first supervisors, who patiently permitted me to redo a project that, because of a faulty assumption on my part, I'd thoroughly botched.
  • An associate who tolerated the inconvenience of my odd work hours so I could spend more time with my children.
  • A couple of colleagues who took the time to show me around and locate an apartment when I first arrived in Washington, D.C.
  • An adversary who chose to ignore an intemperate memo that I'd written.
  • An attorney who made an eloquent and completely unexpected job recommendation that opened a door that otherwise would have been nailed shut.
  • The highly ethical bosses who not only led by example but also talked about the values and ground rules they developed over the years.

I doubt if any of those people fully realize the beneficial impact they had on my thinking and my career.

How many acts of kindness can you recall ?

Michael Wade writes Execupundit.com, an eclectic combination of management advice, observations, and links. A partner with the Phoenix firm of Sanders Wade Rodarte Consulting Inc., he has advised privat e- and public-sector organizations for more than 30 years.

Tags: careers